Topics in Obesity (2021-2023)
With the increasing pandemic of obesity and obesity related health issues as a global cause of morbidity and mortality, the need to understand and develop effective treatments for those afflicted has never been more important.
Participants will gain an understanding of the complexities surrounding this health issue, review the latest research, and learn about current integrative treatments for obesity and weight gain issues. These include mind-body techniques, nutrition, physical activity and supplements in addition to conventional interventions.
I. Introduction & Basics
II. Obesity: The Disease
III. Clinical Management of the Patient with Obesity
IV. Pediatric Obesity
V. Meet The Patients
- Learn that obesity is pandemic in both adult and pediatric populations.
- Learn the multifactorial causes of obesity that include lifestyle, genetics, drugs, and environment.
- Review evidence based integrative treatments that include not only nutrition and exercise but also hypnosis, mindfulness, sleep, yoga and health coaching among others.
- Diagnose obesity using different measurements, such as BMI, percent body fat, and body composition.
- Counsel patients that obesity is a disease that is associated with changes in normal physiology that increase the risk for many chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular, liver, and rheumatological diseases.
- Recognize that the obesity epidemic will not be solved until communities, schools, government and industry become involved.
Complete all the course work, course evaluation, and the final test with a score of 70% or better. Upon successful completion you will be able to print your certificate of completion.
This online enduring material educational program is designed for physicians, advanced nurse practitioners, and physician assistants and other health care providers who have an interest in obesity treatment.
You can register and start immediately. If you register for the course and pay with a credit card you will have immediate access to the course. Once your registration is complete, logout and log back in and your course will be listed on the campus page. If you cannot remember your account information, click the Forgot Password link on the login page and it will be emailed to you.
Topics In Obesity
Disclosure & Credit Information
ACCME/AMA PRA Accreditation and CME Designation Statement
The University of Arizona College of Medicine — Tucson is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Arizona College of Medicine — Tucson designates this enduring material for a maximum of 6 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s). Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This course includes an assessment of 20 questions that you must answer 70% correctly or above in order to receive credit for participation. You are allowed unlimited re-attempts.
Current CME Approval Period: 03/01/19 to 02/28/2021
Most Recent Review by Author: 12/03/2018
Conflict of Interest Disclosure Information
All Faculty, CME Planning Committee Members, and the CME Office Reviewers have disclosed that they do not have any relevant financial relationships with commercial interests that would constitute a conflict of interest concerning this CME activity.
Vivian Kominos, MD,
Will Haas, MD, MBA,
Joy Weydert, MD,
Ann Marie Chiasson, MD, MPH, CCFP; Co-Director of the Fellowship, Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine; Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine Tucson, Arizona
Molly Burke, MFA, CMT, Director, Online Education, Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine
No commercial support was provided for the development of this course.
All rights reserved - Arizona Board of Regents.