- > Education
- > Elective Rotation (IMER)
Integrative Medicine Elective Rotation
This dynamic and exciting month-long elective rotation, held twice yearly in the spring and fall, gives medical students and residents from around the country in-depth exposure to integrative medicine.
Our Integrative Medicine rotation has been offered since 1997. Many of the students and residents who have participated in these electives have gone on to pursue formal education in integrative medicine. As patients increasingly utilize complementary and alternative approaches to conventional medicine, it is more essential than ever that physicians understand the strengths and weaknesses of all forms of medicine with the goal of providing the best health care possible.
Introductory sessions and workshops will be presented by community preceptors focusing on different modalities of integrative medicine: botanicals, homeopathy, mind/body, naturopathy, nutrition, traditional Chinese medicine, osteopathy, and energy medicine. The rotation also includes presentations by Center faculty on a variety of topics like an introduction to integrative medicine (IM), IM research, the difference between IM and complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), and IM approaches to various health conditions. Additionally, an important aspect of the rotation is a focus on personal growth and reflection.
Fall: September 15 - October 10, 2014
Spring: March 30 - April 24, 2015
How do I apply?
- Fourth year MD and DO students in licensed LCME programs should apply through VSAS. The VSAS application will open May 15, 2014.
When in VSAS, please use these search parameters:
- Catalog Year: 2014 - 2015
- Keywords: Integrative Medicine
- Specialty: Other
- State: Arizona
- Institution: University of Arizona COM
- Campus: Tucson
- Fourth year students in non-LCME-licensed programs, please email us.
- Residents should visit the GME visiting students site. Please read the instructions for MD or DO residents depending on your designation. Please mail the visiting resident application and required documents to:
Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine,
P.O. Box 245153
Tucson, AZ 85724-5153
For information about the University of Arizona's visiting resident requirements visit the GME site
After reading the instructions, residents need to complete the visiting resident application.
- University of Arizona Students should apply through the OASIS lottery system.
For more information, please contact (520) 626-3512 or email us.