- > Education
- > Elective Rotation (IMER)
Integrative Medicine Elective Rotation
This dynamic and exciting month-long elective rotation, held twice yearly in the spring and fall, gives medical students and residents from around the country in-depth exposure to integrative medicine.
Our Integrative Medicine rotation has been offered since 1997. Many of the students and residents who have participated in these electives have gone on to pursue formal education in integrative medicine. As patients increasingly utilize complementary and alternative approaches to conventional medicine, it is more essential than ever that physicians understand the strengths and weaknesses of all forms of medicine with the goal of providing the best health care possible.
Introductory sessions and workshops will be presented by community preceptors focusing on different modalities of integrative medicine: botanicals, homeopathy, mind/body, naturopathy, nutrition, traditional Chinese medicine, osteopathy, and energy medicine. The rotation also includes presentations by Center faculty on a variety of topics like an introduction to integrative medicine (IM), IM research, the difference between IM and complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), and IM approaches to various health conditions. Additionally, an important aspect of the rotation is a focus on personal growth and reflection.
Fall 2016: October 24 - November 18, 2016 Spring 2017: March 27 - April 21, 2017
Below you will find some details about the MAY 2016 - 2017 rotation.
How do I apply?
- Fourth year MD and DO students in licensed LCME programs should apply through VSAS. The VSAS application will open May 13, 2016. When in VSAS, please use these search parameters:
- Catalog Year: 2016 - 2017
- Keywords: Integrative Medicine
- Institution: Univ of Arizona COM-Tucson
- NOTE: course is listed as MED 896I - Independent Study
- Fourth year students in non-LCME-licensed programs, please email us
- Residents please email email@example.com to let us know of your interest and we will temporarily hold a spot for you. You must officially apply through the GME Office by visiting GME visiting students site. Please read the instructions for MD or DO residents depending on your designation. The instructions direct you to email the application to the GME Office. Please also email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org so that AzCIM has it on file.
After reading the instructions, residents need to complete the visiting resident application.
- University of Arizona Students should apply through the OASIS lottery system.
- Can I rotate with you during other weeks of the year?
At this time, the IMER is only offered twice a year. We do not offer it during times other than the selected 4 week blocks listed above.
- What if I cannot attend for the entire 4 week block?
- Do you provide housing during the month?
The rotation is designed with the intention of being present for the full month and to share the entire experience with your cohort. Currently, we are not accepting applicants who cannot be present for the entire month.
Once accepted, participants will be sent a housing list that they may use to secure housing on their own. Housing may also be found through popular housing/accommodation websites. Housing expenses are to be covered by the student or resident.
For more information, please contact (520) 425-6248 or email us.