Video Lecture: Nutrition Above the Neck with Bonnie J. Kaplan, PhD
With multiple nutrients known to play critical roles in brain function, it is logical that a multinutrient approach to treatment of mental disorders would be more effective than single nutrients. Indeed, there is now a significant body of literature demonstrating efficacy for treating various types of mental symptoms with multinutrient formulas. However, this course will provide more than a review of published studies: in addition, it will embed these results in the broader framework of biological mechanisms, as well as population health studies. It will also explore the most basic dietary challenge we face (soil nutrients). Over all, the lecture will challenge our notion of what constitutes mental illness: if, for example, a symptom such as hallucinations can be completely resolved with nutrients, should your patient be diagnosed with a mental disorder?
About Dr. Kaplan: Bonnie J. Kaplan, PhD is a Professor Emerita in the Cumming School of Medicine at the University of Calgary, in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. She has published widely on the biological basis of developmental disorders and mental health; particularly, the contribution of nutrition to brain development and brain function. Her nutrition-related studies have focused on broad spectrum micronutrient treatments for mental disorders, and the effect of intrauterine nutrition on brain development and maternal mental health.
Students will be able to:
- Explain the biological rationale for viewing mental disorders in terms of brain metabolism.
- Appreciate the role of multiple nutrients for optimal brain functioning.
- Interpret the implications of nutritional epidemiology research for clinical application.
- Explain the limitations of our food supply for optimizing brain health.
Course Module: Nutrition Above the Neck - Video Lecture
Course Evaluation: Tell us about your experience with the course.
Complete all the course work and course evaluation.
Physicians, physician assistants, nurses, dietitians, behavioral health and other health practitioners who have interest in integrative medicine.
You will have a maximum of 120 days access to the material from the start date. You can register and start immediately. If you register for the course and pay with a credit card you will have immediate access to the course. Once your registration is complete, logout and log back in and your course will be listed on the campus page. If you cannot remember your account information, click the Get Username and Password link on the login page and it will be emailed to you.
- Complete your registration, including payment of the invoice (find this on "My Account")
- Log out
- Then log back in
- If you cannot remember your account information, click the "Get Username and Password" link on the login page and it will be sent to the email address you used to register.
- Your course will be listed on the Community Hub page.